Saturday, August 21, 2010

Im EXTREMELY afraid to cut my guinea pigs nails!! (Question for experienced guinea pig owners only!)?

I got two guinea pigs a couple of months ago and there back nails are REALLY getting long but im really afraid to cut them! How do you cut guinea pig nails and what can you use to cut thim?Im EXTREMELY afraid to cut my guinea pigs nails!! (Question for experienced guinea pig owners only!)?
Clipping guinea pig nails can be nerve-wracking at first, but once you do it a few times, you will feel much more confident!





You can use either a clipper specifically designed for small animals (guillotine-style), or you can use a human nail clipper. I personally prefer using a small human nail clipper.





Hold the foot firmly so that you have a clear view of the nail (see the link below for Heather's Handy Pig Hold). If the nail is light colored, you will be able to see the quick, or blood supply. As long as you do not cut into the quick, the guinea pig will not feel a thing. If your guinea pig has dark nails, get someone to assist you in shining a light under the nail, which will help you see the quick.





Best of luck!Im EXTREMELY afraid to cut my guinea pigs nails!! (Question for experienced guinea pig owners only!)?
But some clippers, cut on an upwards angle, and ONLY cut the WHITE bit, not the pink bit or it will bleed. You can get clippers from a petstore!
Actually I had the same feelings, but I found a vet that did it very well, they were really good with my guinea pig. I had to go to a bigger city than which I live, but they only charged like $20, and that's not bad, cause I know I would probably hurt him if I did it. Hope it helps
just find a position with them where all legs are free and separated and with the extra hand sneak around and cut there nails. mine used to like staying on my arm so I did his like that but the ones I have right now just like being on there back and i just cut. don't worry about being afraid the first time I did it I was terrified
I have two guinea pigs to!!!!!!! :) I was really afraid to cut their quicks but if you cut them with a human nail cutter, its much easier. Don't clip them with special guinea pig clippers. These may seem the best, but actually, they are very hard to see where you are cutting and are too small for hands...even mine!!! LOL. So use a human toenail clipper and you'll be all set!!! (I have had my g-pigs for a year now) Good luck!
Go to a pet store and see if they have a book on guinea pigs. They have everything on them including how to clip their nails! or the internet~
I have had 2 guinea pigs. They do have special clippers for guinea pigs at the pet store, but if you decide to clip your guinea pigs nails, you'll have to know exactly where to clip them, or else you will hurt them. I suggest taking them to a vet, and they will clip them for you. It will probably cost you (wiht 2 guinea pigs) anywhere from $30-40. It is pretty cheap. I hope this helps and congrats on your little guinea pigs!! =] %26lt;3
poeple nail clippers work fine but if your not sure how to do it, it would be best to ask your local vet to show you how. going only on instructions from online strangers who may or may not know what they're talking about and may or may not be able to accurately describe the method could result in pain or injury for your pet. but really it's not that complicated but it's still best to be shown rather then told. now one thing to remember is not to clip the pink part of the nail, that has nerves and veins. as i said, human nail clippers work fine. if your having trouble keeping your buddies still you may want to wrap them in a towel with one foot sticking out at a time.
Use a pair of regular nail clippers. Wrap the guinea pig in a towel and hold onto one paw. Clip a tiny bit of the nail at a time so that it isn't so stressful. Look for the quick and make sure that you don't cut that. If the have dark nails make sure that you have something on hand to stop the bleeding. There are many comercial products that you can buy or you can use cornstarch if you can't find any of them. If you really are afraid go to the vet or a pet store that cuts guinea pigs nails and have them show you how to do it the first one or two times and maybe even watch the first time that you do it yourself.
i never had problems like that since i let my pets walk around on pave/cemented ground alot
The link i've put below has a good tutorial %26amp; pics of what you can use. If your piggies have black nails, i'd recommend taking them to the vets for the first time they have them done, so you can see how much you need to take off (without causing them to bleed).





If they have white nails, just make sure you cut a few millimeters in front of the red line, or it will hurt them %26amp; the nails will bleed. You could always take them to the vet first either way, to show you how to do it, then you'll know for the future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment