Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How can I get my 7 month old Chihuahua to sit still while im trimming his nails.?

I recently bout pedi paws nail clipper with is this http://store.petside.com/photos/product/鈥?/a> and whenever I hold my dog the way it shows in the manuel he always bites my hand hard so I have to let him go. When he does one scratch it draws blood and I don't know how to trim his nails they are really long, HELP!How can I get my 7 month old Chihuahua to sit still while im trimming his nails.?
There was recently a report on tv about pedi paws, and how they would make a great product if most dogs didn't hate it. They are terrified of the sound and the vibration on their feet, and most dogs won't allow you to go near their feet with it because they're so nervous. I tried everything with my dog, but the sight of it made him run to hide. Pedi Paws tells you to first introduce the dogs to the clipper, without the sound, just show it to them. Give them treats while introducing it, turning on the sound and trying to get them used to it. They say over time they'll understand it's not going to harm them and they'll let you near them with it, but I tried for 2 weeks and my dog never liked it.How can I get my 7 month old Chihuahua to sit still while im trimming his nails.?
rotflmao..........you got scammed into buying a pos gimmick *%26amp;* can't manage to control /train a tiny pup??


amateur


Buy a REAL nail wacker.


Put dog on table,tucked under your arm facing BACK.


Pick up foot...WACK OFF NAIL! Switch legs...repeat.





Wiggles? DEMAND IT STOP! CLAMP down.


Doesn't ';wike'; it? TOO BAD! It's a dog,it doesn't have a vote.
Your dog is probably scared. One way to aclimate him to the noise of the pedi-paw is to sit him in your lap and turn it on near him. when he starts to get riled up just pet him and soothe him until he figures out that noise isn't something to be afraid of. This process could take a while to work so you may want to try the swaddle method that someone else mentioned.
ok, my dogs, they are dachshunds, do the same thing and have the same grinder (not clipper), but just the other day, we got them to do that. they hate getting their nails clipped, so they freak out. try wrapping your dog in a towel or blanket very tightly and let only one paw poke out. eventually it will have to get it's nails clipped.


also, about the biting, if it continues, you might have to resort to a muzzle, but try your best to saty away from those, because it scares them more knowing they can't protect themselves.





REMEMBER: you do not have to get absolutely all the nail done in one day. try to spread the horror throughout the week so your dog can get used to it every day and can also be peaceful. do not yell at your dog out of frustration, and after you do one nail, reward your dog with a tiny treat and lots of praise and kisses!
Training. You have to train him to be calm and allow you to handle his paws. You have to do that before you can introduce the Pedi Paws. There's an insert that came with your Pedi Paws that talks about how to train your dog to be comfortable with the contraption (I have one myself). You can't just grab their paw and shove their nail in there. Its scary and they need time to adjust.

No comments:

Post a Comment